It’s not just a matter of genetics. Although it’s true that some skins age better than others, genes control only 25% of wrinkling. The other 75% is down to us. In other words, wrinkles reflect our lifestyle. Sun, pollution, smoking, alcohol, drugs, stress and poor nutrition leave indelible marks on the skin. But what can be done to prevent wrinkling?
There is no way around this fact: life marks the skin. As we get older our skin becomes thinner and loses its elasticity, its ability to deal with external aggressions and its ability to stay hydrated. Genes, the force of gravity, lifestyle, hormones and chronic diseases all play a part. Facial expressions that require repeated muscle contractions begin to leave their mark in the form of furrows between the eyebrows and wrinkles around the eyes and mouth. Although there are no miracles, one solution to mitigate wrinkles is botox, which inhibits muscle movements and, therefore, the expression of emotions. Read More
This headline may seem absurd, but it isn’t. We care for our skin by diligently applying emollients, moisturizers, night creams, eye creams, etc. But many of these cosmetics contain squalene, an ingredient that is sometimes obtained from the liver oil of certain deep-sea sharks whose survival is seriously threatened by overfishing.
Each year more than 2.7 million deep-sea sharks are fished (from depths of 2 000 metres or more) for their liver; they are also fished for their fins, cut off before the animal is returned to the sea, sometimes still alive. This cruel, unsustainable process is leading to several shark species becoming extinct. At the root of it all is the cosmetics industry, which obtains reasonably priced squalene from shark liver oil. Read More
Sweating is necessary. Sweating through the skin is the physiological response to an increase in body temperature during physical exercise or because of excessive heat. Sweat evaporation cooling the body is the mechanism by which temperature is regulated. If this mechanism fails even death may result. But some people sweat excessively and, for them, hyperhidrosis is a very annoying problem.
The skin has three types of sweat glands. The most numerous are the eccrine glands, responsible for thermoregulation by sweating. They are distributed over all the skin, but are particularly to be found in palms, soles, armpits and the face; the apocrine glands, primarily located in the armpits, nipples and perineal area, are responsible for body odour. Humans have between two and four million eccrine sweat glands distributed all over the body surface and averaging about 600 per square centimetre. A person can sweat several litres per hour and up to ten litres in a day. Read More
Our interconnected, networked reality occasionally allows urban legends and misconceptions to proliferate rapidly. Also with regard to care of our skin. The latest myth says that sleeping position has an impact on the appearance of wrinkles on the face. True or false?
It seems logical: if you sleep on your side and place your face against the pillow, your skin will seem to wrinkle. And especially so if you sleep face down ... Hasty conclusion: over the years these sleeping positions lead to wrinkles and enhance facial ageing by causing sagging. So, best sleep on your back, and maybe even use a U-shaped pillow to stop rolling over during the night. It has also been recommended to use satin instead of cotton pillowcases, to allow the face to slide more easily. Then a mass-circulation medium – e.g., The Huffington Post – discusses the issue and launches a chain of half-truths repeated ad nauseam in websites, print media and TV channels. Thus is the false myth created. Read More